Frequently Asked Questions - Chemical Peels
What is a Glycolic Peel?
What are the benefits of Glycolic Peels?
• Reduces corneocyte cohesion and keratin plugs.
• Promotes collagen deposition and elastin production.
• Stimulates additional hyaluronic acid production.
• Minimizes the appearance of pigmentation irregularities.
• Softens fine lines.
• Creates brighter, plumper skin that looks and feels firmer, smoother and more supple.
What are the Contraindications of Glycolic Peels?
• Prior allergic reaction to glycolic acid or citrus medica limonum (lemon) fruit extract.
• Active cold sore.
• Active bacterial, viral, fungal or herpetic infections.
• Active sunburn, windburn or open skin lesions.
• Pre-existing inflammatory dermatoses such as psoriasis or atopic dermatitis.
• Accutane / Isotretinoin use in the past year.
• History of drugs with photosensitizing potential.
• Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
• Patients with compromised immune systems.
• Any other medical conditions as determined by the treating physician.
Instructions | What should I do ONE WEEK prior to the peel?
Patients should avoid the following for 7 consecutive days before undergoing the peel:
• Avoid Retinols and /or retinoids, e.g., Differin, Renova, Retin-A, Tazorac, etc.
• Avoid Use of exfoliation, drying or peeling productions on the area to be treated.
• Avoid Manual exfoliation on the area to be peeled, e.g., facial brush, facial scrub, etc.
• Avoid waxing, depilatories, electrolysis or laser hair removal on the area to be peeled.
Instructions | What should I do ON THE DAY of the peel?
Patients should avoid the following on the day of the peel:
• Avoid sun exposure.
• Patients should not shave the area to be peeled for 2 hours prior to the peel.
Instructions | What should I do on THE DAY AFTER the peel?
• Avoid Sun exposure
• Use a gentle/mild cleanser for 2 days (use cleanser from your kit)
• Apply a sunscreen moisturizer
General Post Peel Instructions
Laomiz GlyMist may be used immediately after the peel and every 3 hours as needed as a cool, refreshing spray to relieve any feelings of skin dryness or tightness. Client should avoid using cosmetics and cream on the area that was peeled 48 - 72hours after the peel. Lipstick may be used.
What should I expect after having a peel?
Depending on the strength of the peel administered, clients may experience:
• Tightness or redness which should resolve within 3 hours but may last up to 72hours.
• Exfoliation (peel and/or flaking) for up to 5 days. Not all clients will experience peeling or flaking. Peeling is not a prerequisite to skin rejuvenation.